HELENA – After a few years of being quite limited on performance, the Tiernan Irish Dancers hit the streets of Helena on Saturday to participate in Hibernian’s annual St. Patrick’s Day Parade.
“Oh we’re so excited to be here today. It’s been two long years since we last danced on St. Patrick’s Day. Since it’s our big season last year, we have to do a bit, but we are excited to be back to our normal routine this year,” said Emily Franke, Tiernan Irish Dance teacher.
Franke says that over the past two years, the 50 boys and girls have worked hard in hopes of getting back into performing.
“It’s hard to train for nothing, and so to have this goal work that we’re working towards and the performance for them is really great,” Franke said.
Residents of Helena gathered along Lawerence Street and Last Chance Gulch to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day early Saturday.
The Tiernan Dancers were ready to bring joy to people’s faces.
“I’m very excited. I love seeing everyone smile, get in there and have fun with it,” said Alexis Otteson, 16, who has been dancing with the troupe for six years.
Some dancers have dreamed of being part of the parade, like 10-year-old Aaleigh Johnson.
“I always watched them, the dancers on TV and said, ‘Aunt, I want to do this one day, and I always wanted to be in a parade,” said Johnson, who has been dancing with the troupe ever since. three years.
The Tiernan Irish Dancers will perform on Thursday March 17 with the following program:
- 8:15 a.m. – Inside the Capitol Rotunda
- 9:15 a.m. – Smith Elementary – 2320 5th Ave, Helena
- 10:15 a.m. – Radley Elementary – – 226 E. Clinton Ave, East Helena
- 11:15 a.m. – Warren Elementary – 2690 Old York Road, Helena
- 1:05 PM – Brondel Cathedral Center – 530 N Ewing, Helena
- 1:45 p.m. – Hawthorne Elementary – 430 Madison Ave, Helena
- 2:30 p.m. – Kessler Elementary – 2420 Choteau St, Helena
- 3:30 p.m. – Touchmark – 915 Saddle Drive, Helena
- 4:15 p.m. – Lewis & Clark Brewery – 1517 Dodge Ave, Helena
- 5:30 PM – Bert & Ernies – 361 N Last Chance Gulch, Helena